2018 Artists Retreat
The James Weldon Johnson Foundation is proud to partner with Bard College at Simon’s Rock for the second annual artist-inresidence program during Summer 2018. Located on the bucolic 220 acre Simon’s Rock Campus in Great Barrington, artists will be offered studio space in the Daniel Arts Center, one of the premier facilities in the Berkshire Mountains in Massachusetts.
The Residency Program seeks to support both established and emerging visual artists, writers, scholars and others whose work exemplifies the values that James Weldon Johnson dedicated his life to: social equity, creative expression, erudition, social justice and community. Ideally, the Fellows will find creative inspiration in each other, in the Simon’s Rock community and in the surrounding natural world. Throughout the residency, artists will be brought together with dynamic scholars, artists and students for lively discussions.
In 2018, five artists will be awarded The James Weldon Johnson Fellowship in the Arts, a residency that includes housing, board and financial support. Artists will reside on campus and will have access to James Weldon Johnson’s summer retreat, Five Acres. A short distance from the artists living quarters, this sacred space includes Johnson’s home and writing cabin where he wrote some of his most famous works, including God’s Trombones, and his autobiography, Along This Way.
- Size of program: Five artists in 2018
- Length of residencies: July and August, one or two weeks in duration (artist’s choice
- Community engagement: Artists will be invited to speak to the Simon’s Rock and Greater Berkshires community, including student groups and local supporters of the arts
- Gallery group show and reception: Artists will be invited to display their work at the Daniel Arts Center’s Hillman-Jackson Gallery, a showcase exhibition space for both professional visiting artists and faculty
- Financial support: A stipend of $1,000 will be offered to each artist
- Additional support: All meals will be provided at the Simon’s Rock dining hall, dedicated to healthy food served by a friendly staff in a relaxing setting. Residents will also have access to the Kilpatrick Athletic Center, a premier facility offering a stunning indoor pool, yoga and aerobic classes, tennis, squash, racquetball and basketball courts, an indoor track, a weight room and other activities to support physical well-being